The virtual robotic workforce is transforming how organizations move data, operate and engage customers. Robotic Process Automation (RPA) might be the most fundamental technology shift effecting business processes in the latest decade. Some say, “Hold on! It’s just the relabling of script or other automation tools that have been around for 20 years”. Others say RPA will change the way we look at work forever. Today, it’s probably somewhere in betwen but rapidly moving towards the latter.
Robotic process automation(RPA) enables organizations to automate existing high volume and/or complex data handling actions as if the business users were doing the work. RPA manifested by software robots helps create sustainable operations in a heightened quality and customer-centric environment, unwind legacy of people-based quick fixes, perform laborious and repetitive tasks reliably, scale up and down to match peak loads, emulate the best business user behaviour, shifts control toward the business and reduce reliance on IT to get things done and help deliver ROI in weeks through a rapid, agile approach.
Three primary ways of employing RPA is in data movement illustrated in sourcing, lightly transforming and loading data for reporting, analytics, data profiling, and system testing and migration; digital enablement signified by adding digital/mobile to application(s), such as customer preference/profile, sales or service transactions and virtual handling rapidly performing repetitive tasks otherwise done by humans to reduce cost, accelerate timing, improve reliability and reduce risk.
Some of the benefits realized using RPA are:
- Save on human effort: Reduce people expense by automating frequent manual repetitive tasks, improving exception handling and moving work to best location
- Increase value add of talent and lower attrition risk: Improve knowledge worker value add by increasing focus on highest return activities (i.e., time dividend) and improve their satisfaction/retention by eliminating dull routines
- Reduce costly errors and improve quality: Improve auditability (every step could be logged), consistency and control over errorprone manual activities that elevate risk, noncompliance, financial or reputational harm.
- Do more faster and shorten critical path: Reduce end-to-end time to handle peak periods, meet deadlines and smooth post-M&A integration by virtually connecting disparate systems and data sources
- Expand architectural toolkit: Supplement architecture toolkit for functional ETL, virtual API, and simulated web service to speed deployments without consuming scarce IT/capital resources