How do you identify RPA Opportunities and initial Process Candidates
It has been quite a while since corporate corridors are abound with news of digital disruption especially Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and AI impacting every walk of life from employment to healthcare diagnosis to retail.
While strategy heads and digital officers have amassed enormous amount of information on trends in Automation, one key question that we face while working with clients is on identifying the right starting point. In this post, I would like to share some of the pointers that will enable you to identify RPA opportunities within your organisation where software bots can be effectively leveraged.
Pointers to help identify RPA opportunities
The best way to start is to have an analysis of the nature of employee deployment and identify areas where they are performing the following:
- manually accessing and gathering data from several different applications to complete their activities
- manually moving data from one system to another
- manually checking the consistency of data between multiple systems
- manually updating the same information in multiple systems
- waiting for alerts/events to initiate their activities
- manually remediating data across several accounts
The above pointers would help you shortlist the possible process candidates for automation. The next logical step to further pin down would be to consider:
- Whether the process is something which can be clearly defined
- Whether process is driven by business rules or whether human judgement takes precedence
- Whether the frequency of the process is significant to be considered for automation
Classifying the identified Process Candidates
It would also be worthwhile to classify and prioritise tasks from an organisation perspective. The following table indicates a typical classification summarised based on our experience.
Opportunity identification and prioritization is the key in any RPA adoption. Having worked with several clients, especially in BFSI, 10XDS has developed a rapid top-down framework based on the key functions in an organization. Do reach us for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule a FREE consultation with our Automation Experts.